Founder and organizer of the festival
The founder and organizer of the festival ANIMAFILM is the Limited Liability Company "PERI FILM" (TIN 2004815851). Address: 5th building, house 2A, 2934th quarter, Sadyhdjan str., apt.24, Khatai district, Baku, AZ1026, Azerbaijan.
The status of the festival
I ANIMAFILM will be held from October 19 to October 21, 2018 in the capital of Azerbaijan - Baku.
Goals of the festival
The festival ANIMAFILM sets itself the following goals:
- To promote the development of animation art in Azerbaijan.
- To create a platform to screen animated films and exchange experiences between local and foreign animation film professionals.
- To promote the production of new Azerbaijani animated films.
- To promote the creation of potential international co-productions.
Management of the preparation and holding of the ANIMAFILM festival is carried out by the Organizing Committee, headed by the festival director. The structure of the Organizing Committee is formed by the director of the festival.
The Organizing Committee appoints a Selection Panel consisting of independent professionals working in the field of animation. The Panel selects films for the competitive and other programs among the works submitted for selection. The decisions of the Selection Panel are final. The Selection Panel reserves the right not to explain the reason for the refusal and not to comment.
The festival program includes a competition program, a non-competition program, a program for professionals and an accompanying program.
The Organizing Committee determines the program and the order of screenings of animated films at the festival. The festival has the right to unlimited screenings of films included in the program without the written permission of the film's producer, its authorized representative and the owner of the rental rights.
On October 10, the program will be published on the website of the festival www.animafilm.az.
The competition program includes the following categories:
- The best short animated film (up to 20 minutes).
- The best Azerbaijani short animated film (up to 20 minutes).
- The best animated social video (up to 15 minutes).
- The best animated advertising (up to 5 minutes).
- Audience Award.
- The best original screenplay for a short animated film.
Winners of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th competitions are determined by an international jury consisting of five persons. The winner of the 5th contest is determined based on the results of the audience voting during the festival shows. The winner of the 6th competition is determined by a special jury consisting of three people.
Non-competition program is compiled by the Organizing Committee and consists of the following sections:
- Thematic shows - this section is devoted to the main theme of the festival ANIMAFILM. In 2018 the theme of the festival is "Azerbaijani Animation".
- Retrospectives - the festival will hold a retrospective of the author, who was awarded the prize "For contribution to the Azerbaijani animation". Other retrospectives can be devoted to genres, certain animation techniques, animation schools, etc.
- Children's program - this section will present national and foreign animated films provided for the children's audience.
The professional program is compiled by the Organizing Committee and includes:
- Business meetings on topical issues of modern animation, at which professionals intend to conduct an interactive discussion with the participation of representatives of the media and fans of animation films.
- Master classes on the types of animation films, where professionals will show basic knowledge on this art form. The main participants of the event will be children and adults who can make their own animated film.
- Lectures and seminars of professionals on the theme of animation.
The accompanying program may include exhibitions, concerts, creative meetings and other events related to the art of animation films. In 2018 the main accompanying event of the festival will be an exhibition called "ReAnimation", dedicated to the history of the development of Azerbaijani animation.
Conditions for accepting of animated films for participation in the competition program
To participate at the festival ANIMAFILM you need to fill out the electronic "Form of participation of the animated film" and send it from May 1 to September 15, 2018 inclusive. The film must comply with the following conditions:
- The film must be shot after January 1, 2017.
- More than 50% of the film must be an animation. There are no limitations in the animation techniques used in the film.
- One film can only participate in one category.
- Copyright of competitive films are regulated by international law. The participant (director, producer or other authorized person) who provides an animated film, declares that he is the copyright owner of the film and is authorized to screen the film at the festival.
The films in digital form with the technical parameters specified in the "Form of participation of the animation film" are accepted to be shown at the festival.
In 2018, a participant can send an unlimited number of works to the festival.
The Selection Panel has the right to independently determine the films submitted for the festival in a particular program, category or section, notifying the participant in advance.
All the films of the contest program will be shown in the original language with Azerbaijani and English subtitles. The authors must provide the English subtitles along with the film.
On October 1, 2018, the Selection Panel will announce films and screenplays chosen for participation in the contest program. On October 10, the list of selected films will be published on the website of the festival www.animafilm.az. The Organizing Committee will also inform the authors about the results of the selection and ask them to provide additional materials for the festival catalog (photos, information on the films, etc.)
The fee for participation in the festival ANIMAFILM in 2018 is not charged.
The participant (director, producer or other authorized person) cannot recall the film from the participation of the ANIMAFILM festival after the film’s screening was officially announced on the website of the festival www.animafilm.az.
The conditions for accepting screenplays for participation in the festival
To participate in the category "The best original screenplay for a short animated film" of the competition program of the ANIMAFILM festival, you need to fill out the electronic "Screenplay participation form" and send it from May 1 to September 15, 2018. The script must comply with the following conditions:
- The script should be written after January 1, 2017.
- The script should be written specifically for a short animated film.
- The text of the script should not exceed 6000 characters.
- The screenplay should be in English or Azerbaijani languages.
- Copyright of competitive screenplays are regulated by international law. The participant (screenwriter or other authorized person) who provides a screenplay, declares that he is the copyright owner of the screenplay and is authorized to submit the screenplay at the festival.
The participant of the festival (director, producer or other authorized person), sending a film for the festival selection ANIMAFILM, agrees that the Organizing Committee has the right to:
- Unlimited number of public screenings of the animated film at the festival (October 19-21, 2018, Baku, Azerbaijan).
- Use of parts of the animated film in the festival promos, documentary films about the festival, television reports about the festival and other audiovisual products aimed at disseminating information on the festival.
- Use of shots and characters in the festival promotional materials (festival catalog, festival website, etc.).
- Create Azerbaijani and English subtitles for the animated film.
- Store animated film in the archive of the festival.
The international jury is elected by the Organizing Committee and consists of 5 people professionally associated with the art of animation films.
The Organizing Committee also elects a special jury consisting of three people who will determine the winner in the category "The best original screenplay for a short animated film".
The jury can not include people who participated in the creation of animated films, included in the contest program of the festival ANIMAFILM. All members of the jury undertake to refrain from public statements about the contest films before the closing of the festival.
The Organizing Committee and Selection Panel may attend the discussions of the jury, but they do not have the right to vote.
The jury awards the "Golden Boat" prize for the best film in each category.
Organizing Committee of the festival awards a special prize "Golden Boat" - "For Contribution to Azerbaijani Animation."
The "Audience Award" is awarded based on the results of the audience vote. Counting of votes is carried out under the guidance of the Organizing Committee of the festival.
The 1st ANIMAFILM festival does not provide for cash prizes. During the organization of the festival, the Organizing Committee reserves the right to change this decision. In addition, the Organizing Committee has the right to allow sponsors to establish their own prizes.
Guests of the festival
Organizers of the festival ANIMAFILM in 2018 do not incur expenses of guests and participants of the festival. During the organization of the festival, the Organizing Committee reserves the right to change this decision regarding certain guests.
This regulation is made in Azerbaijani, English and Russian languages. In case of issues related to the interpretation of the text, the Azerbaijani version of the regulation remains decisive.
Participation in the festival ANIMAFILM implies the unconditional acceptance of the conditions and rules set out in this regulation. Any issues and disputes that arose during the preparation and holding of the festival will be decided by the organizer of the festival and in accordance with the current legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan.